The Ask: Provide specialized support to a Toronto based Japanese drumming (taiko) ensemble. Build capacity in the marketing, outreach, and promotion of the group’s activities: an annual concert season, taiko school, and international tour.
Nagata Shachu is a taiko (drumming) and Japanese music ensemble, based in Scarborough, Ontario. The non-profit arts organization is celebrating its 18th annual season – Toronto Taiko Tales.
The Solution: Global360 developed a multi-year business plan and strategy, in collaboration with the Executive Director and Board of Directors. The new plan provided a framework for the organization to frame each of its core activities and contextualize the unique needs of each program in terms of partnerships. Through organic growth of social media and developing both business and organizational partnerships, Global360 has helped to launch successful audience development initiatives, fundraising events, and touring opportunities.
The program: In order to build long-term sustainability, Global360 has forged alliances and partnerships that will increase the group’s visibility, as well as direct revenues. Each partnership is customized and built on a personal and mutually beneficial relationship.
The Result: New contests and promotions activated through social media and on-site at Nagata Shachu events have helped solidify and grow the group’s fan base, as well as increase box office revenues. Support from a new partner, the Ontario Music Fund, has sent the group to New York City, Colorado, and Tennessee to spread the infectious rhythms of taiko music. The 2016-17 Toronto Taiko Tales season is supported by:
- The Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre (JCCC) – Venue Sponsor
- Japan Foundation Toronto – Season Supporter
- ReelAsian Film Festival – Season Supporter
- Lula Arts and Music Centre – Season Supporter
- Japan Society – Season Supporter
- Japan Education and Teaching Alumni Assn. (JETAA)
- Nikkei Voice – Media Partner
- Toronto Japan Magazine (TORJA) – Media Partner
- Ginko Japanese Cuisine – Hospitality Partner
- Ozawa Canada – Hospitality Partner
- Mama Earth Organics – Supporter
- Long and McQuade Music – Supporter