The objective of the New Canadian Media (NCM) mapping project is to use data visualizations to engage existing NCM users and to attract new ones. The primary function of the maps are to tell the story of NCM and the scope of its reporting and location of its reporters, that is, these maps highlight NCM’s importance within the journalistic landscape of Canada.
There are three interactive maps:
- A data ready mapping template was built with cartoDB / ArcGIS and utilizes data visualizations, with a base map of Canada.
- “MapMyPosts” is a customizable map that is integrated with the Content Management System (CMS), using category and tag notations to produce visualizations. These maps can then lead users into specific categories or article tags (e.g. “National”, “India”, etc.)
- Map of @WEBELONG Instagram Posts allows users to explore the handle and hashtag, mapped to their geo-location.
The user-friendly map interface features a legend and details (top left corner) that users can use to navigate and explore various data sets.
The base map is at the Census Division (CD) level, allowing users to explore the following data points:
- New Canadian Media reporter network (green map pins)
- Census Division and Sub-Division population (2011)
- Population Density (2006 / 2011)
- Canadian Immigration – by City (2011)
- Total Population
- Immigrant Population
- Recent Immigrant Population (past 5 years)
- Canadian Immigration Past and Present – Birthplace by Province (2006)
- Total Population of each Province
- Breakdown of countries of origin
- Canadian Immigration Past and Present – Immigration By Province (2003-2012)
- Annual immigration numbers
- Canadian Immigration (2001-2011)
- Percentage of immigrants to Canada by foreign country
- Canada: 2006 Visible Minority Groups (Population over 5,000)
- Canada: 2006 Median Household Income
- Population growth (2011-2016)
- Pathways to Prosperity Immigration and Settlement Agencies